Dealing With Hair Loss During Pregnancy

Hair fall in pregnancy is a fairly common thing to occur; however there are certain things one needs to understand. Normally, 90% of our hair is growing at any given point in time and the rest 10% or so is in resting phase where it does not grow.

Usually, in 2 to 3 months time the hair in the resting phase falls out, leaving space for new hair to grow. In pregnancy, due to the enormous hormonal changes in a woman’s body most of the hairs go into the resting phase.

According to scientists around 40% to 50% of the women experience this change when during pregnancy they have very little to almost no hair fall.

The increased hormones stop the hair from falling off and effectively change the hair fall and growth cycle. So once a woman goes through the delivery phase, her hormones start returning to their normal levels and with that some women experience a sudden loss in hair.

There is nothing to worry about in this case because this is just hair that hasn’t fallen off in months and is just going through its regular phase. If however you continue to lose hair and not have much grow back then you should see your doctor.

Your hair won’t necessarily just fall off in patches during pregnancy;
however if you do experience a usually increased amount of hair loss then it could be related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. For this it is important that you immediately contact your gynecologist or physician as this could possibly affect your baby.

There is an upside regarding hair and pregnancy. It is that during pregnancy womens’ body’s are producing a lot more estrogen than they usually do. This helps the hair stay in the growth and stimulating phase where they become strong and healthy. So for a lot of women they have really nice hair during the majority of their pregnancy.

It is important for you to have a balanced diet that is nutritional for your body because any deficiency will be bad for you and your baby. Your hair will go through some changes during pregnancy; however it is all easily controllable.



Sagar

University freshman, freelance article writer. Can speak four languages. Would like and get to know more writers.