Stretch marks are caused by stretching of the skin during pregnancy. bcan completely make them disappear completely. It takes a few months or years for the lines to fade to streaks closer to the color of your skin. So be patient.
More than 75% of women develop stretch marks on their abdomen during pregnancy. It is also common to get stretch marks on thighs, breasts and hips.
Stretch marks depend on the elasticity of the skin. Also the rapid fluctuations in weight and stretching of the skin are also responsible for stretch marks. Women pregnant with twins or multiples are more likely to have stretch marks.
There are certain tips for prevention of stretch marks:
1. Taking a hot water bath open the pores of the skin and strengthens the epidermis which diminishes the stretch marks.
2. Massage your belly, hips, thighs (vulnerable areas) at least once in a day with natural oils like olive oil or vitamin E oil etc.
3. Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of water and fresh juices to maintain elasticity of your skin. It also keeps your skin glowing.
4. Have lots of vitamins like vitamin E, A, C in your meal as they improve the elasticity of the skin.
5. Eat healthy and well balanced diet to keep your weight gain in check. The recommended weight gain during pregnancy is between 25 to 35 pounds.
Various creams and oils available in the market claim to prevent stretch marks. But these formulations can just help in reducing the itchiness and moisturizing your skin.
For most of the women, stretch marks become light and less noticeable within a few months. But some women have very severe stretch marks. You may consult a dermatologist if your stretch marks are bad and causing harm to your self esteem.
Your doctor may recommend topical treatments.
But it is very important to consult your doctor before using any cream or any treatment if you are breastfeeding your baby. Some treatments can have an effect on the milk supply.
There are other methods like laser treatments and plastic surgery to help you if you are worried about your marks.
However, most of the women happily overlook their stretch marks when they look at the miracle of life they have brought in the world.